Improve Your Life #5: Perform a Random Act of Kindness
This can be anything from helping out a co-worker to donating to a good cause. It can be a nice compliment to a stranger to lighten up their day. It can be something for a specific person who knows you or truly random and anonymous act of kindness to a person you don’t know.
It is nice if you direct your kindness towards the people less fortunate than you. But as the saying goes there’s lonely at the top so maybe the CEO of the company needs a pat on the back every once in awhile.
Do not expect anything in return. Maybe the only return would be your own feeling of happiness and self worth.
Think of how many times you have been at the receiving end of the random acts of kindness and be grateful for that.
If you are struggling with the idea and don’t know where to begin then here’s a list of things you could do:
- Hold a dinner party
- Thank the trash man
- Send a nice card to a friend
- Write a letter of appreciation
- Send anonymous flowers to your someone
- Pick up trash
- Let someone go in line in front of you
- Smile and say “Good morning” or “Good afternoon” to everyone
- Visit an orphanage
- Give a compliment
- Hug your loved ones for no particular reason
- Pay for the person behind you at the drive-thru
- Send a friend an old photo and recall that time
- Take flowers to nursing home
- Give a huge tip
- Pay the toll for the person behind you
- Donate blood
- Give someone flowers
- Help a coworker complete a project without being asked
- Write a thank you letter to your parents
- Leave a positive comment on a website or blog
- Encourage someone
- Bring someone a souvenir
- Read to a child
- Put an anonymous thank you note on your colleague’s desk
- Spend time with the elderly
- Buy a weekend vacation for a friend
Now go out there and perform a random act of kindness.